This special election has been set for June 1st, 2021 to replace the seat vacated by Interior Secretary appointee Deborah Haaland.
Unofficial Election results will be on the SOS website here.
Six candidates have officially qualified for this election. You can find the official list on the SOS's website here.
The southwest corner (Cedar Grove and Edgewood) of Santa Fe County is in Congressional District 1. Registered voters who reside in this district can vote in this Special Election; all other Santa Fe County residents are in Congressional District 3. Residents of CD1 in Santa Fe County can register to vote online at NMVote.org until May 4th, 2021. Voters can check if they are located in CD1 at NMVote.org. After May 4th, same-day voter registration will be available to Santa Fe County CD1 residents at the Town of Edgewood Municipal Building polling location during regular voting hours.
Current Map of CD1 in Santa Fe County
All in-person voting will occur at the County Clerk's Temporary Special Election Admin Office AKA the Town of Edgewood Municipal Building and regular Santa Fe County polling location for Edgewood area precincts. There is no voting at any other polling location.
Town of Edgewood Municipal Building
171-A State Rd. 344
Edgewood, NM 87015
Tuesday, May 4th through Friday, May 14th, 2021
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, May 15th through Saturday, May 29th, 2021
Saturdays, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday - Friday, 12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Note: No voting Sundays or Mondays
Election Day: Tuesday, June 1st, 2021
7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Same-day voter registration will be available during all voting hours (Election Day TBD by state committee)
- An absentee ballot Drop box will be available inside during voting hours to drop completed absentee ballots
- All absentee ballots must be returned to the County Clerk by 7:00 p.m. on Election Day
Absentee AKA Vote by Mail Voting
- Absentee ballots must be requested by voters in order to receive one
- Go to NMVote.org to request an absentee ballot online
- You can print a paper absentee ballot application form to mail to the Santa Fe County Clerk
- All absentee ballot applications must be received by May 18th, 2021
- Ballots will be mailed May 4th, 2021 and not before
- We do not recommend mailing ballots after May 25th, 2021. Voters can drop them during voting hours at the Town of Edgewood Municipal Building.
Where to mail your absentee ballot application and your ballot:
Santa Fe County Clerk
PO Box 1985
Santa Fe, NM 87504
Congressional District Special Election Calendar (adapted from the SOS website)
- March 18, 2021: The Secretary Of State issued a proclamation calling for an election to be held on Tuesday, June 1, 2021. In English, In Spanish
- April 6, 2021: Candidate Filing Day.
- April 7, 2021: NMvote.org goes live and voters can register to vote or request an absentee ballot for this election.
- April 17, 2021: Overseas military votes are transmitted their ballots.
- May 4, 2021: Twenty-eight (28) days before the election:
- Online Voter Registration at NMvote.org and mailed voter registration closes
- After May 4th, qualified electors in CD1 can utilize same-day registration (SDR) to submit a new voter registration form, or update their existing registration in person at the Town of Edgewood Municipal Building Same Day Voter Registration Station during voting hours.
- The County Clerk will begin mailing ballots to voters who have requested an absentee ballot and who are eligible to participate in the election (i.e. voters who reside within the boundaries of CD1). Eligible voters can request an absentee ballot by mail, or online at NMVote.org
- Early in-person voting begins at the Town of Edgewood Municipal Building. No voting will occur at the Santa Fe County Clerk's office.
- May 15, 2021: Early Voting on Saturdays at the Town of Edgewood Municipal Building begins.
- May 18, 2021: Last day to submit an absentee request for domestic mail ballots.
- May 25, 2021: Last day that Military-Overseas voters can submit an absentee request (for secure electronic transmission of the ballot; if the federal qualified elector is requesting that a ballot be sent by mail, the request must be made by the deadline of May 18). Email [bot protected email address]for more information.
- May 29, 2021: Last day of early voting at the Edgewood Municipal Building.
- June 1, 2021: Election Day. The Town of Edgewood Municipal Building will be open from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. Voters who have requested an absentee ballot may also return their sealed absentee ballot to the Town of Edgewood Municipal Building no later than 7:00 p.m. on Election night.