Marriage Licenses

KATHARINE E. CLARK | Clerk (D) | Term 2021 - 2024

Marriage Licenses are currently being issued by appointment only, 10am-2pm, M-F (excluding county holidays). Please email or call the Clerk's office to make an appointment.

We are currently issuing marriage licenses for residents throughout NM and issuing licenses for out-of-state residents so long as they follow current self-quarantine travel guidelines

If you are traveling from out of state, please be aware of the current self-quarantine travel advisorydue to COVID-19. All visitors to the County Building will be pre-screenedand temperatures taken. 

Marriage License Requirements
Spanish Marriage License Requirements

Age – 18 and over
All individuals must provide either a valid government-issued form of identification with photo, name and date of birth, or a valid passport.

Age – 16 and 17
A minor the age of sixteen (16) or seventeen (17) years must provide a certified birth certificate from the state or country they were born in. Both parents if living who are shown on the minor's birth certificate, must sign a written consent allowing the minor to apply for the marriage license. A written consent may be provided in person at the Clerk's Office, or if not in person, through a notarized statement. If one parent is deceased, a certified copy of the death certificate must be provided.  A parent signing the consent form in person must present current photo identification that shows their name as matching their name on the birth certificate. Unless a parent is deceased, if one parent is unable or unwilling to sign the consent form, then the minor must obtain an authorization to marry from the district court and provide a certified copy of the court order authorizing marriage to the County Clerk for filing.

Age – Under 16
A district court order is required (no alternative) for individuals under the age of 16, along with the documents listed above.
Other Requirements
Both applicants must be present at the time of the marriage license application process.


Fee: $25.00 cash only (no checks) must be paid at the time the license is issued.
Certified Copies are $5.00
Items Not Required
No blood test is required.
No waiting period prior to obtaining a marriage license.
No expiration on license. (The license never expires!)

Marriage Arrangements
Marriage ceremonies may be performed in any county in the State of  New Mexico.
Individuals are responsible for making their own marriage arrangements and must provide a valid license to the person performing the ceremony.

For a civil ceremony in Santa Fe County, the following are court names and phone numbers that perform a marriage ceremony by appointment:
Magistrate Court – (505) 984-9914
Municipal Court – (505) 955-5070 
Probate Court – (505) 992-1636

The marriage license must be recorded with the County Clerk's Office within 90 days from the date of marriage.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is required to apply for a marriage license?
A. 1. A marriage license costs $25.00 cash only.
2. Both people must be present at the same time to fill out the application.
3. Both people must show their driver’s licenses, or other government issued photo IDs (NMSA 40-1-10B). 

Q. Do you have a judge who performs marriages?
A. The clerk or the probate judge can perform wedding ceremonies by appointment only. You can call Judge Cordilia Montoya directly at (505) 992-1636 on Wednesdays or Fridays, or leave a message on her voice mail.

Q. Do both parties have to be present when applying for a marriage license?
A. Yes (NMSA 40-1-10B).

Q. Will we need witnesses at our marriage ceremony?
A. Yes. Two witnesses over the age of 18 must be present at the marriage ceremony (NMSA 40-1-2).

Q. Can I get a certified copy of my marriage license?
A. Yes. Certified copies of marriage licenses cost $2.50 each (NMSA 14-10-8.B.3).

Q. How do we schedule an appointment to get a marriage license?
A.  Call our main number (505) 986-6280 and we will transfer you to a staff member who can schedule you. You will have to contact a judge, ordained person, or other officiant to make arrangements for the ceremony separately. We can provide a list of judges’ phone numbers when you come in.

Q. Do we have to be from Santa Fe County to get a marriage license?
A. No, we are currently selling marriage licenses to couples from out of county or out of state. But, all couples must successfully complete a COVID pre-screening (held at the entrance to our building) and out-of-state visitors must follow the current travel/quarantine directives set by the governor.

Q. Do marriage licenses have to be returned in person or can they be mailed?
A. It does not matter who brings the marriage license as long as it is brought in for recording within 90 days of the ceremony(NMSA 40-1-15A). Either spouse or both can bring it in person, or it can be mailed (we will provide an envelope with our address), or a friend, relative, etc. may bring it for recordation.

Q. Do you require proof of ordination or some kind of registration for the minister?
A. We do not require proof of ordination nor is the minister required to register his/her credentials. As long as the officiant is ordained in some religious organization or is a recognized tribal official empowered to perform a wedding ceremony. (NMSA 40-1-2).

Q. Does my marriage license expire?
A. No, it does not expire, but we ask that you bring it back to record within 90 days of the marriage ceremony being performed. This will avoid the potential of the document getting damaged, lost or destroyed. If this information is lost, it may not be possible to reproduce it and this can lead to complications later.

Katharine E. Clark, Santa Fe County Clerk
Clerk's Office Hours: Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
100 Catron Street (New Building)-Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501