The mission of The Santa Fe City and County Advisory Council on Food Policy (Food Policy Council) is to create and maintain a regional food system that nourishes all people in a just and sustainable manner. The Council was established as an advisory council by a joint resolution from the Santa Fe County and the City of Santa Fe. The resolution sets forth the following vision for the Santa Fe food system:
- Affordable and nutritious food should be provided in a respectful manner should be available to all people.
- A wide variety of safe and nutritious food should be available to city and county residents.
- Access to safe and nutritious food should not be limited by economic status, location, or other factors beyond a resident’s control.
- The price of food in the city and county should remain reasonably close to the average price existing in the balance of the region.
- The region should maintain the natural resources, land base, infrastructure and skill sets that are necessary to produce food.
- All reasonable efforts should be taken to improve the incomes and decrease the needs of those who are most susceptible to food insecurity.
- The availability of food to persons in need should be improved within the city and county to reduce poverty as a barrier to obtaining a healthy diet for all residents.
Food Policy Council Members and Appointees
As required by the resolution that created the Council, there are two County staff representatives, two City staff representatives, and nine other members from the private and non-profit sector that are working on food security and food system related initiatives. Overall, 6 members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners, and 7 are appointed by the City Council for a total of 13 members.
Food Policy Council Meeting Information
The Council meets the fourth Thursday of every month at 8:30 a.m. at the Angel Depot conference room, 1222 Siler Road, Santa Fe. For more information including meeting materials, please visit the Santa Fe Food Policy Council.
Food Policy Council Staff Liaison
2024 Meeting Documents
These are currently no meeting documents for 2024