“The objective of the Chimayó planning committee is to facilitate a community planning process in accordance with the Community Planning Principles outlined in the Sustainable Growth Management Plan. A participatory approach will ensure a high level of community engagement, build on the community's understanding of itself, solve problems and build consensus while identifying opportunities and threats.”
- Chimayó Citizens for Community Planning. From their March 2nd letter of intent to the Santa Fe County Commission.
Chimayó Community Plan
The community of Chimayó lies in the foothills of the Sangre de Christo mountains between Rio Arriba County and Santa Fe County. The community planning area encompasses the settled part of Chimayó and the open space surrounding the village.
The Chimayó community planning process is an ongoing joint effort of the Chimayó Citizens for Community Planning and Santa Fe County. The process formally began in March, 2012 when the Santa Fe Board of County Commissioners passed Resolution 2012-48 authorizing county staff to collaborate with Chimayó Citizens for Community Planning Committee to develop a community-driven for Chimayó’s future growth and development that addresses the following critical issues: history and culture; community health and safety; agriculture, acequias and open space; and economic development. Once finished, the Chimayó Community Plan will be made up of the following components:
- Description of community’s history and current conditions as well as challenges and opportunities related to history and culture; community health and safety; agriculture, acequias and open space; and economic development.
- A land use plan that supports the community’s vision and goals for its future.
- Recommendations for zoning and development standards.
- A Community Work Plan that lists goals and identifies strategies to solve problems on an on-going basis with an emphasis on developing collaborative relationships between residents, governmental agencies and community organizations.
Community Review Draft
We are in the final phase of the planning process and need your feedback! Over the course of the next 4-8 weeks we will be seeking community input and feedback on the Community Review Draft. To view and download the draft, please click the following link:
If you have comments, concerns or questions, please feel free to call, e-mail or drop by the Santa Fe County Planning Offices, 102 Grant Ave, Santa Fe NM. We look forward to your input and are here to listen. If you would like a hard copy let us know and we can mail one out to you.
Once the community review is complete and revisions are incorporated, the plan will be submitted to county officials for review and possible adoption into the county policy framework, capital improvement plan and legal code.
For a summary of the recommendations please click on the following link:
Current Conditions and Trends:
Committee Website (includes meeting minutes):
The Board of County Commissioners Resolution No. 2012-48 and Letter of Intent to the Board of County Commissioners from Chimayó Citizens for Community Planning to Begin the Community Planning Process (PDF) - Coming Soon!
Contact Us Questions? Comments? Please Call or e-mail
Robert Griego, Planning Manager
(505) 986-6215 or firstname.lastname@example.org